Monday, February 20, 2012

Ebelskivers a.k.a Pancake Balls

                                       

This is my kid's personal favorite.  I'm not going to lie....it's a little bit of work, but they are SO good and the kids think they are the best things ever. 

My good friend gave me an ebelskiver pan a few years ago and since then we have been in love.  You can get them at Bed Bath & Beyond, online, etc. if you end up thinking you want one.  There are lots of cool recipes you can make with the pan too.  I am just going to give you the recipe for the ebelskivers.

So you start by separating your 3 eggs.  One bowl put your whites, one bowl put your yolks.  Use a bigger bowl for your egg yolks because you are going to be adding 2 cups of buttermilk to it. 


Beat your three egg whites until stiff.  This takes some time, so be patient. 


Measure out your dry ingredients into another bowl and stir:  2 cups of flour, 1 tsp of each baking powder and baking soda, a 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of sugar. 

In your bowl with the egg yolks, add in 2 cups of buttermilk and beat.  Add this to your dry ingredients and mix again. 




 Lastly, fold in your egg whites.
 Place pan over medium-low heat.  Add a small chunk of butter to each hole in the pan and then fill each hole about 3/4 full. 

Just like pancakes, they will bubble and that's when you know you're ready to turn.  I just use toothpicks to turn them, but I know that there are specific tools just for this purpose....I'm just too cheap to buy them and instead use about 20 toothpicks. :) 

Double check and make sure they are thoroughly cooked by sticking your toothpick in the middle.  If it comes out clean or flaky, they are ready.  You may need to turn them another time or two if it's not. 




 Here is the recipe of the best buttermilk syrup to serve with it.  Mmmm....so yummy.  I think I now know what I am having for dinner.  I LOVE breakfast for dinner.  The best!   Also, if you are feeling up for it, you can always add stuff in the middle of the ebelskivers.  For example, one time I added a little bit of homemade strawberry jam in the middle (pour a little bit of batter, added the jam, and then added the rest of the batter).  You could add berries, chocolate, nuts, really whatever you want.  My kids prefer them plain, but if there is something you love....add it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment