Monday, April 16, 2012

Comfort Food: Easy Chicken Pot Pie

My sister got this yummy dish taken to her a few months ago when she had a baby and we have made it a few times since.  For me, it is one of the ultimate comfort foods.  It also reminds me of when my boys were about 1.  This was the only way I could get them to eat their vegetables.  I know it wasn't the healthiest way, but it made me feel good that in one entree they were getting bread, protein, and veggies...coupled with some gravy.  I now love that I can make it myself and it's EASY. 

Start by pre-heating your oven to 425 degrees.

I like to do things the easiest way possible, so rather than dicing up my own veggies, I buy me one of those frozen peas and carrots bags at the store (the far right bag in the picture).  I have the crinkle carrot bag in there too because I happened to be making my father a pie as well and he despises peas so that bag was for him.  If you want to dice up your own, do 1 c. peas and 1 1/2 c. cooked carrots (throw those in the pot with the potatoes to cook). 

You also need about 2 potatoes.  I would say 3 small potatoes, 2 medium, or 1.5 large.  The first time we made this, the recipe called for 3 potatoes and it was WAY too many potatoes.  But hey, if you're a fan, go for it. 

Wash and peel the potatoes and chop.  Cook in boiling water until soft and then drain.
In a large pan melt your butter over low heat.  Add in 6 T. flour, 3/4 tsp. salt and an 1/8 tsp. of pepper and stir over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly.

Remove from heat and add in your 1/2 cup of milk and 2 cups of chicken broth.  You're then going to put them back on the heat and bring to a boil while stirring.  To speed up this process, I pour my milk and broth in a glass measuring but and stick it in the microwave for about a minute.  Really speeds things up and it will come to a boil much faster.

Boil for one minute.

Add in your cooked chicken.  Also, again I like to do things easy and I'm a little obsessed with those rotisserie chickens (especially Costco's) so I just shred the chicken right from there. If you don't do that, you will need to cook your chicken and shred it. 

And your peas, carrots, and potatoes.

Pour the mixture in your pan. 

Spread your crescent dough over the top.  Now, they have this new kind that is called "Seamless dough sheet."  I thought that was pretty cool, but it's definitely not necessary.  The seams don't affect the taste in anyway, the seamless just makes it look prettier.  Hello though...if you're making comfort food, who cares what it looks like...right?!?
Last thing is to pop it in the oven at 425 degrees for about 15-25 minutes until your crust is golden brown.


Here's your printable recipe:

Hope you like this one! Happy Cooking!

2 comments: