Monday, January 23, 2012

Pomegranate Salsa

Pomegranate Salsa....I know it's a little past the season for pomegranates, but this is a very very favorite of mine and I had to share.  Maybe bookmark for your Christmas party next year.  It's just a great fresh salsa with a sweet little kick when you bite into a pomegranate seed. LOVE IT!  I like to use cherry tomatoes because it makes the salsa so bright and I coursely chop them in my food processor.  Makes it much easier than having to hand dice them all.  (I'm all about making things easier.)  You definitely don't want to puree them though, so be careful.   
First off:  Do you know how to get the seeds out of a pomegranate?
 Step 1:  Cut off each end.
Step 2:  Score the pomegranate by slicing it from one end to another. 
Step 3:  Fill a bowl full of water.
Step 4:  Place the pomegranate in the water and break it open (it should open nicely along the score marks). 
Step 5:  Remove the seeds.  By doing it in the water, you will avoid having the juice splatter all over your clothes.  Been there, done that, it stains and is no fun.
Step 6.  The membranes will float to the top and the seeds will sink to the bottom.  Strain out the membrames and tada!!!  You will have your pomegranate seeds.  For those that don't like the work....Costco seasonally sells them already seeded. 


I always double or even triple this recipe.  I also will only add about 1/2 tsp of salt and then add more if needed.  Sometimes, I find that if you are using salty chips, adding to much salt to this recipes can be over powering. 



No comments:

Post a Comment